Music is not a traditional class in that there is very little written work and tests. Instead, grades are based largely on class participation and rehearsal etiquette, as well as concert and other school-related performances.
- Come to rehearsals prepared by practicing at home and not using rehearsal time to practice. Recommended practice time is 30 minutes every day.
- Always have your instrument, music, and a pencil. The first 10 minutes of class should be devoted to tuning and warming up. By the end of this time, everyone should be in their seats and ready to play.
- During rehearsals, respect each other by refraining from talking and staying on task.
- Absolutely no food or gum!! Gum is not permitted during rehearsals or performances.
- Attendance is expected at all rehearsals, including those that are held outside of regular school hours.
- Students who are not able to attend an after school rehearsal must submit a note from their parents requesting the absence at least 24 hours in advance. Any rehearsal in and out of school that is missed without a note will be considered an unexcused absence and will affect your grade.
Concerts and Performances
- Attendance is mandatory for all concerts and performances.
- All students are required to participate in the winter and spring concerts, the District Orchestra Assessment, and graduation. An unexcused absence will result in a letter grade reduction for the quarter.
- Ladies: Black Concert Gown, Pearl Necklace, black dress shoes, black hose.
- Gentlemen: Tuxedo Rental, Tuxedo shirt, bow tie/cummerbund, black dress shoes, black socks.
- Please note: Tuxedos are on loan and are the responsibility of the student. The numbered jacket and pants assigned to the student must be returned at the end of the school year, or the student will be responsible for the replacement cost of $250.00
Care of Instruments and Materials
- Keep instruments clean and in good repair, especially before a performance.
- Notify the director of a school instruments that are in need of repair. There is no charge for a repair that is due to normal use. However, damaged instruments that are due to negligence will be repaired at the student’s expense.
- Keep all folders and school music in good condition. Students will replace and lost or damaged music.